This spooky season impress your friends, family and Instagram feed with some tasty jalapeño popper mummies. This appetizer is fun to make and will bring the heat to your Halloween celebration. I like to call them the “Halloweeno Jalapeño”!
- 5 Fresh Jalapeños
- 1 Package Weiner Wrap Dough (I used Pillsbury )
- 1/2 Cup Original Philadelphia cream cheese
- 1 Cup of grated Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Green onions
- 2 Tbsp Salted Butter
- Candy Eyeballs ( Purchase at amazon, bulk barn or local baking supply shop)
Tips & Tricks for the perfect poppers
Candy Eyes: The candy eyes are very aesthetically pleasing. You can find them on amazon, bulk barn, and maybe even your local bake supplies shop. With this being said, the candy taste does not exactly go with the rest of the amazing flavours. If you are looking for a one-bite wonder snack you can substitute the candy with black olives and cream cheese!
Cooking in advance: You can make this recipe up to a day in advance. If you are planning to make them ahead of time make sure to store them in an air-tight container and refrigerate them until ready to heat. Also, if you are using candy eyes wait to pop them in until ready to serve. If the candy is left in them for more than a few hours it may lose its texture. It’s best to reheat the poppers in the oven and put the eyes in right before you serve!
Jalapeño: Opt for choosing jalapenos with a bright green, smooth surface free of imperfections. For low heat, cut the jalapeño’s open and scoop out the seeds, piths, and ribs – gutting them so they have almost no heat. Capsaicin, which is the spice in peppers, is found in the white rib inside a jalapeno. For more heat, leave the ribs and piths intact. You can enhance the heat in jalapenos even more by rubbing them against a cutting board before cutting!
This recipe will make 10 Jalapeño Poppers, if you have a bigger party just double the recipe!
Jalapeño Popper Mummies
- 5 Fresh Jalapeños
- 1 Pack Weiner Wrap Dough Pillsbury
- 1/2 Cup Cream Cheese Original Philadelphia
- 1 Cup Grated Cheddar
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Green Onion
- Candy Eyeballs
- 2 Tbsp Salted Butter (Optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Next take a tray and line with parchment paper or grease with a small amount of butter. Place the pan aside for later!
- If you want your jalapeños to pack a punch of heat, roll them with the palm of your hand on a cutting board to activate more spice. (If you don't want them extra spicy you can skip this step)
- Cut the jalapeños in half from the stem down (lengthwise) and remove the seeds.
- In a small/ medium bowl mix the cream cheese, cheddar cheese and green onions. Season with little salt & pepper.
- Take the Weiner Wrap Dough and unfold the dough onto a cutting board. Using a pizza cutter or a knife, cut each rectangle into about 1cm strips.
- Using a spoon, fill each jalapeño with the cheesy mixture.
- Wrap the dough slices around the Jalapeño's to create a mummy appearance. Have fun & get creative with this step! I found wrapping two slices overlapping diagonally worked best! However you decorate just remember to leave a space near the top for the eyes.
- Place your mummies in your non-stick pan and use a basting brush to lightly cover the tops with a thin layer of butter.
- Put the poppers in the oven and bake for 15-17 minutes.
- When finished cooking, remove the mummies from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes before adding your candy eyes!
- Plate and serve for the perfect spooky spicy snack!
*If you have left over cheese mix you can use this as a dip when you plate your spooky poppers!
Hope you enjoy this spicy spooky snack. If you liked this recipe check out another fall favourite : Homemade Pumpkin Butternut Squash Soup