Hey Foodies! This Homemade croutons recipe is amazing and very simple to make. Also, they are a lot fresher and better tasting than the ones you can buy in the store. Ever since my mom showed me this recipe, I have found it very hard to go back to store-bought croutons.
You only need three ingredients to make these croutons. The grand secret behind this recipe is bacon grease! I like to make these along with a homemade caesar salad so I can just toss the bacon in the salad. However, if you intend to make croutons for something else, you can always just pack the bacon up and save it for another meal! I like to use a fresh-baked french loaf from the bakery by my house, I find it gives me the best results. With that being said, if you are looking to put some soon-to-go bad bread to good use, this recipe still works great.
- 1 Loaf Bread Fresh Baked Loaf
- 1 Clove Garlic Minced
- Begin by cutting the bread into around half an inch cubes. Then set the bread aside for later.
- Next, cook the bacon in a non-stick pan until the bacon is fully cooked. Then remove the bacon but leave the bacon grease in the pan.
- Add a clove of minced garlic to the bacon grease and let cook until fragrant (around 30 seconds)
- Now, add the bread into the pan and cook on medium heat until cubes are golden brown.
- Remove from pan then let cool! As they cool they will become more crispy.
- Add your homemade croutons to a fresh salad or hot soup 🙂 Enjoy!
The following are just a few of my favorite ways to use this homemade croutons recipe :
- Soups: I like to add these in vegetable soups such as tomato or butternut squash soup. These also would work great in a french onion soup!
- Salads: The main thing I use this recipe for is Homemade Caesar Salad.
- Breadcrumbs: If I don’t use up all the croutons, I save them for breadcrumbs.
I am so in love with these croutons. I find it reminds me of toast with melted butter. They are dangerously good. I find myself eating them before I even throw them in the salad. I hope that you like them as much as I do. Enjoy and remember to eat good baby!
Keeping homemade croutons at room temperature and storing them correctly will keep them fresh for about three days. You can keep them in the refrigerator for five days and in the freezer for six weeks.